As mesothelioma cases rise in the United Kingdom, the government there has made it a priority to determine a list of the top ten research objectives using input from the mesothelioma community. These mesothelioma research objectives are likely just as important to the thousands of mesothelioma patients here at home in the United States. To accomplish this, the UK National Institute for Health Research funded a research program to survey mesothelioma patients, caregivers of patients, and health care professionals.
This research could be essential around the world to the lives of those who are diagnosed with mesothelioma. Anything leading to more comfort and hope for those dealing with the challenges of the disease along with lengthy mesothelioma litigation is truly invaluable.
Mesothelioma Community Helps Pinpoint Mesothelioma Research Priorities
An initial survey produced 453 completed questionnaires, which generally identified 52 different areas of concerns. From there, researchers sent out another survey which returned 202 responses and narrowed the possible top objectives to 30 topics. As mesothelioma litigation continues, this type of information will be important to ensure a better quality of life for patients.
The final step in the research brought together two mesothelioma patients, one caregiver, nine mesothelioma health professionals and four support group representatives. With this group they were able to narrow down the previous list of 30 topics to the top ten areas of concern. Here are the highlights:
Mesothelioma Top 10 Research Priority List:
- Determining the value of immunotherapy;
- Individualizing chemotherapy regimens for each patient using predictive modeling;
- Monitoring pre-cursor symptoms, such as pleural thickening, for the development of mesothelioma;
- Determining the best second-line treatment;
- Managing excessive fluid buildup for peritoneal mesothelioma patients;
- Determining the best time to start chemotherapy;
- Maximizing strategies for patient follow-up;
- Determining the value of intrapleural immunostimulant drugs;
- Determining the value of annual medical screenings for workers in high-risk occupations; and
- Determining the benefits of pleurectomy and the best candidates.
See the detailed list of priorities.
Despite a ban on asbestos more than 15 years ago, the UK saw 2,535 new mesothelioma cases in 2012 and expects to see this number continue to rise until 2022 – inevitably leading to more mesothelioma litigation. Surprisingly, the United States has yet to completely ban asbestos use. These staggering numbers make this type of research even more important to pursue.
Contact Waters Kraus Paul & Siegel to Learn More about Filing a Mesothelioma Lawsuit
If you (or a loved one) have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact us by email or call us at 800.226.9880 to speak with our mesothelioma lawyers. Learn more about how we can assist you and your family with a mesothelioma lawsuit.