IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING COVID-19

Small Diameter Head Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants Also Cause Problems

A new study confirms what many metal-on-metal hip replacement patients already know — implants with small diameter heads can also lead to an adverse reaction to metal debris.

It was already well-documented that large diameter heads in metal-on-metal hip implants can cause aseptic loosening and other problems caused by the release of metal debris in the body. In an effort to reduce the likelihood of negative side effects, some hip surgeons switched to the use of smaller 28- and 32-mm titanium components. But now, a study that followed 258 patients for a minimum of two years, has produced further evidence that the small diameter metal-on-metal hip replacement systems may cause at least one of the problems associated with the large diameter head systems — adverse reactions to metal debris (ARMD).

New Study Further Confirms that Small Diameter Head Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacement Systems May Lead to Adverse Reactions to Metal Debris

The study’s author, Adolph V. Lombardi Jr., MD, warns that patients implanted with the small diameter head metal-on-metal systems should be followed to deal with any complications that may develop. Lombardi is the president of Joint Implant Surgeons Inc. He presented his paper at the November 2014 annual meeting of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons in Dallas, Texas.

According to Lombardi, 67 percent of the revision surgeries that were required for patients with the small diameter heads were caused by problems with metal debris. The average patient in Lombardi’s study was 56 years old. In 71 percent of the patients followed, the metal-on-metal hip implant used a 28 mm metal bearing. A 32 mm metal head was used for the remaining 29 percent of patients.

For the patients who required revision surgery, some were experiencing pain and had elevated serum cobalt-chromium levels, but normal radiographs. Other patients had a gradual onset of pain along with weakness and subluxation, while both the radiographs and the serum levels appeared normal.

The implants were more likely to fail in women. The patients’ activity level appeared to have no bearing on a later need for revision surgery.

In view of the study results, Lombardi and colleagues in his Ohio practice have reportedly quit using metal-on-metal bearings.

Contact Waters Kraus & Paul to Learn More About Filing a Metal-on-Metal Hip Implant Lawsuit

Waters Kraus & Paul is a national plaintiffs’ law firm devoted to helping families in personal injury and wrongful death cases involving metal-on-metal hip implants manufactured by a number of companies, including Stryker, Zimmer, Biomet and DePuy. If you have suffered injuries or the death of a loved one associated with metal-on-metal hip replacements, contact us by email or call us at 800.226.9880to speak with one of our hip implant attorneys, like Sara Coopwood in the firm’s Texas office, and learn more about how we can assist you with a metal-on-metal hip replacement lawsuit or claim.

What are my chances?

That’s the first question everyone asks. The truth is it’s impossible to know. But we can tell you this. Waters Kraus & Paul has what it takes to fight against big corporate interests and win. That’s why we’ve taken more mesothelioma trials to verdict than any other firm. And that’s why we’ve recovered more than $1.3 billion for clients like you. Do you think you have a case? Contact us now to speak with an attorney.

Call 800.226.9880